The purpose of this Donor Bill of Rights is to assure that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in Turner House Clinic Inc. (d/b/a: Vibrant Health) and the funding needs that they are asked to support.
Vibrant Health declares that all donors and prospective donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donation is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
Note: This information is adapted from the Donor Bill of Rights developed by the American Association of Fund-Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP). Copyright 2013
Vibrant Health respects our donors’ privacy and adheres to the highest standards in gathering, using and safeguarding donor information. The relationship of donors with Vibrant Health is voluntary and confidential. For purposes of this policy, donors include persons and organizations providing monetary contributions, grants and/or in-kind gifts; volunteers who provide gifts of time, talent and expertise as well as prospective donors and volunteers. The policy has been established to guide the actions of Vibrant Health’s employees, volunteers, contractors and authorized representatives.
- Vibrant Health collects and confidentially maintains the following when a donor voluntarily provides it: Personal information such as name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address; check information regarding bank name and routing and account numbers; credit card transaction receipt information; gift amount, purpose and terms; pledge transactions; planned-giving intent as documented; volunteer application information; informal information provided by the donor in the form of communications received in writing, in person, by telephone, or electronically; and information available from public documents and reports.
- Vibrant Health uses donor information to acknowledge, thank and provide a tax receipt for donations; provide information about how contributions are used and of their impact, other items of interest about Vibrant Health in response to donor inquires or questions about our services; populate our passcode-protected donor database and analyze giving patterns; populate donor rosters; donor relations activities, such as newsletters, invitations to events, fundraising campaign outreach, and other updates; and for IRS purposes.
- Vibrant Health protects the anonymity of donors who do not want their name used in any promotional material, wish their name removed from solicitation lists, or wish to have their gifts or services be anonymous. The request of any donor who does not wish to receive such communications will be honored and specifically, e-mail messages to donors will include instructions on how to unsubscribe.
- Vibrant Health will not rent, trade, sell, or share any personal information about its donors.
- To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the correct use of information, Vibrant Health has put in place procedures to safeguard and secure information collected. We collect, use and share information about our donors only on a need-to-know basis and for the sole purpose of carrying out the mission of Vibrant Health. Firewalls prevent outside parties from accessing our database and internal access to the database is restricted to authorized individuals who need to know such information in order to fulfill our mission. Online donations are subject to high-grade encryption and https security protocols. Passwords which provide access to confidential information are not shared with unauthorized individuals. Confidential information is not to be left out in the open and unsupervised, whether on paper or on screen, in view of people other than authorized personnel or an authorized, designated volunteer. Confidential information must be shredded rather than placed in waste receptacles.
Gift Acceptance Policies resource document published by the National Council of NonProfits; Association for Nonprofit Professionals; the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP); and the Center for Nonprofit Excellence.